Monday, February 6, 2012

Puzzling Lesson

My son loves puzzles... his favorite is a large floor puzzle featuring John Deere tractors.  I've got it stored in a basket, and he loves to bring it to me, so we can both put it together.

One day, as we sat there, opposite each other, I realized he was really concentrating on the pieces, while I was focused on him.  I watched him pick up the wrong piece, but held back from correcting him.  He picked up another one, the right one, but had it turned the wrong way.  On and on the pattern continued...and my thoughts began to wander.

I realized there was a link between me and my son... and puzzles.  If God stepped in as an over-protective father and fixed every problem I encountered... how could I learn from my mistakes?  I try to remember that God is always present, working behind the scenes in our best interests...

Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
 and do not lean on your own understanding.
~ Proverbs 3:5 ~

For I know the plans I have for you,
declares the Lord, plans for welfare
and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. 
~ Jeremiah 29:11 ~
 
Trials we face are not all random.  As hard as it is to admit, we bring a lot of it on ourselves.  By God's grace, He doesn't give up on any of us.  We are His children, after all, and a parent doesn't turn their back on their child after one mistake... or a million. 

That day, my son brought me back to reality so I could see his masterpiece.  He'd finished his puzzle after being persistent... trying and trying again.  He learned from his mistakes, and accomplished something he could be proud of.  And of course, I was proud of him too.

Amazing what you can learn from a child and his puzzle...

5 comments:

  1. absolutely great post...loved reading this drinking my tea to start my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have a smart son for sure! And a lovely lesson for us too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful, Megan. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This surely makes every mother smile...and sigh. I can't help but wish it was still jigsaw puzzles instead of vehicles:) the mistakes are a little more costly;(( yet it is still important to let go and let them learn, just as our parents did.

    Yes, we are doing well in the ups and downs of life. I hope you are as well.

    thank-you for your earlier comment.

    ReplyDelete

“Kind words can be short and easy to speak,
but their echoes are truly endless.”

~ Mother Teresa