Wednesday, October 26, 2011

October's Beauty

"There is no season when 
such pleasant and sunny spots may be lighted on, 
and produce so pleasant an effect on the feelings, 
as now in October."
~ Nathaniel Hawthorne ~    

Every day I notice a little less color beyond my window panes.  
In an effort to preserve a bit of October's beauty, this morning, 
I grabbed a jacket and headed outside.  I visited a few golden maple trees, 
a mixed up forsythia, which always blooms in Autumn 
instead of Spring, and my hydrangea bush.  

Once I'd gathered the branches and blooms, and after I'd enjoyed a little walk around the yard, I came back indoors.  Originally I'd wanted to make a kitchen table centerpiece, but soon realized everyone would probably be eating on their laps if I used the large branches... so I moved on to my blanket chest in the corner.  Much better.  There was more room to spread out and be dramatic.


I started with an old wooden tool carrier, and placed 3 large canning jars inside.  Next I dusted off my blue kitchen scale, added a shallow dish with apples on top, and set that to the right of the carrier.  An old tin, with 3 candles inside, went in front and slightly to the right.

I added water to the canning jars, and re-cut the branches at a 45 degree angle, then smashed the ends with a hammer.  I know it seems like a lot of trouble to go through for a few branches, but it makes the arrangement last longer, so...  After the branches were arranged to my liking, I added hydrangea, but grouped them more toward the left/center, to balance the tin and scale on the right.


I gathered up some little green gourds my mom gave me... they harvested quite a crop from their compost pile... and placed those around the tin.  There were leaves all over the floor from the branches.  Too pretty to waste, I used them as filler... tucked in here and there next to the apples and gourds, or placed between the branches.

A few things to remember ~ always keep leaves and flowers 
a safe distance back from burning candles, 
and of course, never leave them burning unattended. 




Hope this inspires you to look outside your window 
and bring a touch of October's beauty in to your home as well...
before it's too late!






7 comments:

  1. O-o-o-h! This is so very lovely. Each time you create I wish I could visit...it feels like home.I find my gaze traveling the kitchen.H-m-m-m, you know what? On Friday I re-arranged a few things and now I have an empty corner...Let me see...
    I'm feeling a little more energetic today. I had a relapse of the cold i thought I got rid of a while back and round two seemed even more severe. I think I'm on the up-swing again and ready to dream:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your fall arrangement is beautiful! You're so talented. And thanks for the fall inspiration, beautiful quote. It's getting so much darker in the mornings now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is truely lovely, Meghan.I didn't know the banging branches thing.Good to know.I also had to smile at mixed up forsythia,I have one that's never bloomed!You've inspired
    me to try and pull out the last bit of beauty from my dejected garden!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janet ~ I smiled when I read... 'it feels like home.' What a great compliment! Thank you :) You are visiting in a way, it's just that I'm letting you see my favorite things... and not all the messes, such as the pile of clothes that need folded and put away, or the floors that need swept... I'm glad you're feeling better! I'm sure you'll find something beautiful to fill that empty spot :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christine ~ thank you for the compliments :) I have to admit, part of me is feeling like skipping right to winter & Christmas decorating (must get it from Mom... she's already got a small tree up, hiding from Dad upstairs!) Thanks for stopping by, and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucy ~ yes, doesn't it seem wrong to crush the bottom of a branch? If you don't though, the branch can't suck up enough water to meet demands, and will wither. I use this technique on woody stems/branches of all types. Glad you enjoyed my mixed up forsythia. I used to get frustrated about it, but what can you do?? I use the foliage through the year in flower arrangements... the cuttings will start to grow their own roots and will continue to live as long as there is water. My bush is HUGE too, it's a great home for the local birds and bunnies! Have fun looking through your garden ~ hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just took this arrangement down... was kinda sad to see it go, but as I was taking out all the dried up leaves, there were my 3 forsythia branches ~ full of yellow blooms :) They may not bloom in Spring, but I think they bloom at just the right time for me :)

    ReplyDelete

“Kind words can be short and easy to speak,
but their echoes are truly endless.”

~ Mother Teresa